Plant some beautiful Mums or Pansies and enjoy fabulous colorful foliage. That’s why they call it Awwwtumn. Autumn provides great comfortable weather for people to work in the yard. And Mums the word for instant color! Chrysanthemum is coined from Greek words chrysos meaning gold and anthos meaning flower. They are Mumbelieveable! Why is fall good for planting? Plants in Fall put their efforts into establishment (roots) instead of a focus on top growth (spring). In Fall the soil is warm compared to spring making it easier to establish roots and we get some natural rainfall in Autumn….again great for root establishment!
Here are 10 reasons to invest in your yard and landscape in September and October:
1. Plants in Fall put their efforts into establishment (roots) instead of a focus on top growth (spring) which makes it the perfect time of the year to establish some new plants in your yard!
2. In Fall the soil is warm compared to spring making it easier to work with….and again great for root establishment.
3. You can effectively feed woody plants in Fall. Even though air temperatures drop the soil stays warm often all the way to Christmas! The plant can take in the fertilizer and will get next spring off on the right foot!
4. We generally get plenty of natural rainfall in Fall. That’s why they call it rainfall!
5. It’s the perfect time to fix your lawn….September and October is the ideal time to seed and establish a new lawn or reseed or repair an existing lawn.
6. An ideal time to control weeds! Winter annual weeds are establishing in the yard so get them now before they bloom next spring and produce seed. Perennial weeds (like dandelions or ground ivy) are like the trees shutting down for winter so when you spray them with an herbicide it is more effective getting into the root system for total kill versus the top kill only you often get in spring.
7. Bulbs! Dig drop and done. Bulbs are easy and when the tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, allium, crocus and more bloom next spring you’ll be glad you invested in Fall!
8. It’s a great time of year to move plants. Cooler temperatures means less stress AND a moved plant gets a dormant time of rest (winter)…..not like a spring planted plant that has the heat of summer to follow.
9. You can even plant “Annuals”. Ornamental Kale, Pansies, Swiss Chard, Snapdragons will tolerate frosts to bloom this Fall.
10. Autumn provides great comfortable weather for people to work in the yard. The weather is cooler making it a great time of the year for both YOU and the plants. Enjoy!