Transcendental Transplanting Part I

Now that the Sub-Zero pansies are in, I decided it was time to finally work on my perennial bed.  I’ve had a vision of what I wanted to move where since last winter but it was cold and raining, this or that plant was in bloom, there were weeds to clear, the annuals were where I wanted to put such-n-such, etc. etc. Now most everything is pretty much done blooming and can be transplanted. Let the re-decorating begin.

Irises

The first order of business was to dig up the irises. I got them from my sister a few years ago. She’d split hers and some extras that needed a new home. I like irises and these looked pretty in the picture I saw. She told me these were dwarf irises and would be a great border flower because they don’t get more than 6 inches high.  I chose to put them in a couple rows on the side of the garden.  With the new vision and plan, that wasn’t going to work.

Just to clarify, I have dug up, divided and transplanted plants like hostas and daylilies before when I lived in my condo. And last spring I did dig up and transplant my roses successfully. However I have never (intentionally) dug up a bulb.  I expected them to be round, kind of like a tulip bulb looks when you take it out of the package. Not so much.  Once I found the first bulb (trickier than I expected), it looked kind of like an H and seemed to be two rather than one. Because they were smaller and of different shape than I expected, I started sifting through the dirt more with my hands than the shovel.  I actually found more bulbs than I was expecting, which is good and will come in handy in the new layout.

Right now the iris bulbs are sitting in the garage until I get everything else situated. Fortunately Friday through Monday is supposed to be at least partly sunny and relatively dry.  It will be the perfect time to finish up the major work. I’ll keep you posted!

Until next time….

Mary Gold